15 June 2018

St Therese: Chapter VI

  • Journey to Rome
  • Audience with His Holiness Leo XIII
  • Response of Monseigneur the Bishop of Bayeux
  • Three months of waiting
Turn your gaze up to heaven; here I am together with all my saints. They underwent a great struggle on earth and now they have rest. Imitation of Christ: 4, III Ch XLVII


Excerpts

Rome: St Cecilia

From  the  Coliseum  we  went  to  the  Catacombs,  and  there  Céline  and  I  laid ourselves  down  in  what  had  once  been  the  tomb  of  St.  Cecilia,  and  took
some  of  the  earth  sanctified  by  her  holy  remains.  Before  our  journey  to
Rome  I  had  not  felt  any  special  devotion  to  St.  Cecilia,  but  on  visiting  the house  where  she  was  martyred,  and  hearing  her  proclaimed  "Queen  of harmony"—because  of  the  sweet  song  she  sang  in  her  heart  to  her  Divine Spouse—I  felt  more  than  devotion  towards  her,  it  was  real  love  as  for  a friend.  She  became  my  chosen  patroness, and  the  keeper  of  all  my  secrets; her abandonment to God and her boundless confidence delighted me beyond measure. They were so great that they enabled her to make souls pure which had never till then desired aught but earthly pleasures.
St.  Cecilia  is  like  the  Spouse  in  the  Canticles.  I  find  in  her  the  Scriptural
"choir in an armed camp."[10] Her life was one melodious song in the midst
of the greatest trials; and this is not strange, because we read that "the Book
of  the  Holy  Gospels  lay  ever  on  her  heart,"[11]  while  in  her  heart  reposed
the Spouse of Virgins.

An audience with the Pope

Thérèse with Pope Leo XIII. Picture by Céline
Leo  XIII, whose  cassock  and  cape  were  of  white,  was  seated  on  a  raised  chair,  and
round  him  were  grouped  various  dignitaries  of  the  church.  According  to custom each visitor knelt in turn and kissed, first the foot and next the hand of  the  venerable  Pontiff,  and  finally  received  his  blessing;  then  two  of  the Noble  Guard  signed  to  the  pilgrim  that  he  must  rise  and  pass  on  to  the adjoining room to make way for those who followed. No one uttered a word, but I was firmly determined to speak, when suddenly the  Vicar-General  of  Bayeux,  Father  Révérony,  who  was  standing  at  the Pope's right hand, told us in a loud voice that he absolutely forbade anyone to  address  the  Holy  Father.  My  heart  beat  fast.  I  turned  to  Céline,  mutely inquiring what I should do. 


"Speak!" she said.
 

The  next  moment  I  found  myself  on  my  knees  before  the  Holy  Father.  I kissed  his  foot and he held out  his  hand;  then  raising my  eyes,  which  were filled  with  tears,  I  said entreatingly:  "Holy  Father, I have  a  great  favour to ask you." At once he bent towards me till his face almost touched mine, and his  piercing  black  eyes  seemed  to  read  my  very  soul.  "Holy  Father,"  I repeated, "in honour of your jubilee, will you allow me to enter the Carmel when I am fifteen?"
 

The Vicar-General, surprised and displeased, said quickly: "Holy Father, this is  a  child who  desires  to  become  a  Carmelite,  but  the  Superiors  of  the Carmel  are  looking  into  the  matter." 

"Well,  my  child,"  said  His  Holiness, "do whatever the Superiors decide." 

Clasping my hands and resting them on his knee, I made a final effort: 

"Holy Father, if only you say 'yes,' everyone else would agree."

He looked at me fixedly and said clearly and emphatically: 


"Well, well! You will  enter  if  it  is  God's  Will." 

I  was  going  to  speak  again,  when  the  Noble Guards  motioned  to  me.  As  I  paid  little  attention  they  came  forward,  the Vicar-General  with  them,  for  I  was  still  kneeling  before  the  Pope  with  my hands resting on his knee. Just as I was forced to rise, the dear Holy Father gently placed his hand on my lips, then lifted it to bless me, letting his eyes follow me for quite a long time

No comments:

Post a Comment