17 June 2018

St Therese: Chapter VIII

  • Divine nuptials
  • Graces on retreat
  • A saint's last teardrop
  • Death of her father
  • How Our Lord surpasses all her wishes
  • Love's victim
walk in the way by its brightness, in the presence of the light thereof; because the things that are pleasing to God, are made known to us. Bar IV

A wedding invitation with some humour

Eight days after I had taken the veil my cousin, Jeanne Guérin, was married to Dr. La Néele. When she came to see us afterwards and I heard of all the little attentions she lavished on her husband, my heart thrilled and I thought: "It shall never be said that a woman in the world does more for her husband than I do for Jesus, my Beloved." And, filled with fresh ardour, I set myself more earnestly than ever to please my Heavenly Spouse, the King of Kings,
Who had deigned to honour me by a divine alliance.
Having  seen  the  letter  announcing  the  marriage,  I  amused  myself  by composing  the  following invitation,  which  I  read  to  the  novices  in  order  to bring  home  to  them  what  had  struck  me  so  forcibly—that  the  glory  of  all earthly unions is as nothing compared to the titles of a Spouse of Our Divine Lord.

Designed & painted by St Therese
"God  Almighty,  Creator  of  Heaven  and  Earth,  Sovereign  Ruler  of  the Universe,  and  the Glorious  Virgin  Mary,  Queen  of  the  Heavenly  Court, announce to you the Spiritual Espousals of their August Son, Jesus, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, with little Thérèse Martin, now Princess and Lady of His Kingdoms of the Holy Childhood and the Passion, assigned to her as a dowry, by her Divine Spouse, from which Kingdoms she holds her titles of nobility — of  the  Child  Jesus  and  of  the  Holy  Face.  It was not possible to invite  you  to  the  Wedding  Feast  which  took  place  on  the  Mountain  of Carmel,  September  8,  1890—the  Heavenly  Court  was  alone  admitted — but
you are  requested to be present at the  Wedding Feast which will take place to-morrow, the day of Eternity, when Jesus, the Son of God, will come in the clouds  of  Heaven,  in  the  splendour  of  His  Majesty,  to  judge  the  living and the dead.
"The hour being still uncertain, you are asked to hold yourselves in readiness
and watch."

Her father's death

St Therese aged 15 and her father
On July 29, 1894, God called my saintly and much-tried Father to Himself. For the  last two  years of his life  he was completely paralysed; so  my uncle took  him  into  his  house  and  surrounded  him  with  the  tenderest  care.  He became  quite  helpless  and  was  only  able  to  visit  us  once  during  the whole course of his illness. It was a sad interview. At the moment of parting, as we said good-bye, he raised his eyes, and pointing upwards said in a voice full of tears: "In Heaven!"
Now  that  he  was  with  God, the last  ties  which  kept  his  consoling Angel in the world were broken. Angels do not remain on this earth; when they have accomplished  their  mission,  they  return  instantly to Heaven.  That  is  why they have wings. Céline tried therefore to fly to the Carmel; but the obstacles
seemed  insurmountable. One  day,  when  matters  were  going  from  bad  to worse, I said to Our Lord  after  Holy Communion:  "Thou  knowest,  dear Jesus, how earnestly I have desired that the trials my Father endured should serve  as  his  purgatory. I long to know if  my wish  is  granted.  I  do  not  ask Thee to speak to me, I only want a sign. Thou knowest how much opposed is Sister N. to Céline's entering; if she withdraw her opposition, I shall regard it as  an  answer from Thee, and in this  way I  shall know that  my Father  went straight to Heaven."
God, Who holds in His Hand the hearts of His creatures, and inclines them as He will, deigned in His infinite mercy and  ineffable  condescension  to change that Sister's mind.  She was the first person I met after my thanksgiving, and, with  tears in her eyes, she spoke of Céline's entrance, which she now ardently desired. Shortly afterwards the Bishop set every obstacle aside, and then you were able, dear Mother, without any hesitation, to open our doors to the poor little exile.

No comments:

Post a Comment