02 November 2022

St Peter's Complaynt : Lines 577-588

Please pray for the soul of Esther Clark. R.I.P. She gave a 
framed copy of this painting to the author in the 
1980's.
These posts contain revised and expanded notes to St Peter's Complayntconsidered by many to be the last poem written by St Robert Southwell ("RS") before his martyrdom on the 21st of February 1595.  The original series of posts was first published in 2018 on our sister site, Mary's English DowryI have expanded my original notes so as to provide a more detailed critical apparatus - with fairly extensive use of quotations from the period in which RS wrote. I have also included paraphrases with the aim of making the poet's language more accessible to modern readers.

The work is offered on behalf of my family to Our Blessed Lady, Regina Martyrum et Consolatrix AfflictorumFor EEKPTEE&EA.



👈The Tears of St Peter (1587-1596) 
El Greco (Domḗnikos Theotokópoulos) 1541-1614
Museo Soumaya at Plaza Carso, Mexico.





+    +    +

- 97 -

When, traytor to the Sonne, in Mothers eyes,
I shall present my humble sute for grace,
What blush can paint the shame that will arise,
Or write my inward feeling in my face? [580]
Might she the sorrow with the sinner see,
Though I despisde, my griefe might pittyed bee.


    In the eyes of Christ’s mother Mary, I am a traitor who betrayed her Son. 
    When I make my humble entreaty to implore mercy, how could any blush be deep enough to portray the utter shame that will rise up within me? How could any expression on my face truly communicate my inner feelings?
    I pray that the Blessed Mother may see not only the wretched sinner that I am but also the sorrow that pains my heart. Although I might with justice be despised for my sin of betraying her Son, I pray there may yet be hope of pity for my contrition.


    578. The mother here is the Blessed Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus. She was to be made mother of the faithful by Our Lord just before He died on Calvary and is honoured today as Mother of the Church: 
“When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.” [John xix. 26-27]
    578. sute. suit. The action of entreating or petitioning a person to do something; petitioning, supplication. Also: an instance of this; a petition, supplication, or entreaty; esp. a petition made to a king or other person in authority. a1535   T. More Hist. Richard III in Wks. (1557) 58/2   This pore Lady made humble sute vnto ye king, yt she might be restored vnto such smal landes as [etc.].
    grace. The word has a number of theological meaning but perhaps here the primary one intended is: Mercy, clemency; pardon, forgiveness;1559   W. Baldwin et al. Myrroure for Magistrates Suffolk xxv   There was no grace, but I must loose my head. Another meaning, which would follow on sacramentally form the first, is sanctifying grace which grants to the soul a share in divine life so that God may look upon a person as one of His sons by adoption:  
“Being justified therefore by faith, let us have peace with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access through faith into this grace, wherein we stand, and glory in the hope of the glory of the sons of God.” [Romans v. 1-2]
    579. blush. The reddening of the face caused by shame, modesty, or other emotion. 1595   W. Shakespeare Henry VI, Pt. 3 iii. iii. 97   Bewray thy treasons with a blush.
    581. She might see me for the sinner that I am but also see the sorrow in my heart.
    582. Although I might well be despised for my sin of betrayal, yet my contrition might be pitied.


+    +    +

- 98 -

But ah! how can her eares my speech endure,
Or sent my breath, still reeking hellish steeme?
Can Mother like what did the Sonne abjure, [585]
Or hart deflowr’d a virgin's love redeeme?
The Mother nothing loves that Sonne doth loth,
Ah, lothsome wretch! detested of them both.


    But how could Mary’s ears endure even the sound of my speech? How could she bear my breath which is still tainted by Hellish fumes, after my betrayal and cursing? Could Mary, our Mother, have any liking for what her own Son renounces, my denial and disavowal of that same Son? Or could any love, even the love of the Blessed Virgin herself, redeem a heart whose innocence was so violated and ruined by his own sin? The Blessed Mother loves nothing that her Son would hate. What a loathsome wretch I have become, detested by Mother and Son!

    584. sent. scent. 1. transitive. To perceive, notice, or recognize by sense of smell; To smell the odour or perfume of  1603   W. Shakespeare Hamlet i. v. 58   Ghost But soft, me thinkes I sent the mornings ayre, briefe let me be.
2. To fill or imbue with a (usually pleasant) odour; to impart a smell to; to perfume. 1567   W. Painter Palace of Pleasure II. xxi. f. 146   All floures & roses were by Titans force constrained to adorne & deck eche gardens & place of pleasure, & with their fragrant smells & odors, to scent the same.
    585. abjure. To reject or repudiate on oath (a claim or claimant); to renounce or disavow (a thing).There seem to be two possibilities for the grammatic subject of the verb abjure: 1) the Sonne; and 2. the words and behaviour of Peter.
    586. hart. heart. 
    deflower.  To violate, ravage, desecrate; to rob of its bloom, chief beauty, or excellence; to spoil. 1596   E. Spenser Fowre Hymnes 14   That wondrous paterne..layd vp in secret store..that no man may it see With sinfull eyes, for feare it to deflore.

+    +    +


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.

No comments:

Post a Comment