11 November 2022

St Peter's Complaynt : Lines 691-702

Please pray for the soul of Esther Clark. R.I.P. She gave a 
framed copy of this painting to the author in the 
1980's.
These posts contain revised and expanded notes to St Peter's Complayntconsidered by many to be the last poem written by St Robert Southwell ("RS") before his martyrdom on the 21st of February 1595.  The original series of posts was first published in 2018 on our sister site, Mary's English DowryI have expanded my original notes so as to provide a more detailed critical apparatus - with fairly extensive use of quotations from the period in which RS wrote. I have also included paraphrases with the aim of making the poet's language more accessible to modern readers.

The work is offered on behalf of my family to Our Blessed Lady, Regina Martyrum et Consolatrix Afflictorum. For EEKPTEE&EA.



👈The Tears of St Peter (1587-1596) 
El Greco (Domḗnikos Theotokópoulos) 1541-1614
Museo Soumaya at Plaza Carso, Mexico.



+    +    +

- 116 -


Pleasd with displeasing lot I seek no change,
I wealthiest am when richest in remorce;
To fetch my ware no seas nor lands I range,
For customers to buy I nothing force.
My home-bred goods at home are bought and sold, [695]
And still in me my interest I hold.


    I am actually happy with my unhappy lot and I would not wish it changed; the reason is that I derive the greatest benefit from the remorse that it has brought. I have no need to seek this contrition through wide-ranging inquiries; nor do I feel the need to persuade others of its benefits. No, this business is quite internal; it is entirely my own and is transacted in my conscience between my own thoughts and feelings. Hence, my interest derives entirely therefrom.


    Note. The language of this verse suggests a comparison between spiritual and commercial transactions: wealthiest . . . richest . . . ware . . . customers . . . buy . . . goods . . . bought and sold . . . interest. The parallels seem clear enough when speaking of, for example, "spiritual riches" and "spiritual poverty." Cf. The parable of the talents [Matth. xxv. 14-30] 
    691. lot. 1. A person's destiny, fortune, or situation in life (originally viewed as having been allotted by fate or divine providence). 1576   A. Fleming tr. in Panoplie Epist. 226   A minde satisfied with his appointed lotte. 2. A tax, a duty; 
    692. remorce. remorse. Deep regret or guilt for doing something morally wrong; the fact or state of feeling sorrow for committing a sin; repentance, compunction. 1597   R. Hooker Of Lawes Eccl. Politie v. lxxii. 213   The fruit of our own ill doing is remorse.
    694. RS-DS notes of this line: “ ‘I make no attempt to force my wares on my customers’ — this state of repentance and grief is a self-sustaining economy.”
    696. interest. The meaning may there include 1. That which is to or for the advantage of any one; good, benefit, profit, advantage. 1579   G. Fenton tr. F. Guicciardini Hist. Guicciardin iii. 129   Caried with ambicious respectes touching their interests and desires particular. 2. Money paid for the use of money lent. 1598   I. D. tr. L. Le Roy Aristotles Politiques 52   Men haue now inuented interest in steed of vsury.

+    +    +

- 117 -


My comfort now is comfortlesse to live
In Orphan state devoted to mishap:
Rent from the roote, that sweetest fruite did give,
I scorn’d to graffe in stock of meaner sap; [700]
No juice can joy me but of Jesse flower,
Whose heavenly roote hath true reviving power.


    The only comfort I now have is to live with misfortune, like an orphan without any comfort or support. My sin had the effect off cutting me off from my sweet and fruitful fellowship with Christ and His disciples, just as when a branch is torn down from its tree. I could not contemplate seeking some other group as it would be inferior in every way. The only fellowship with the power to bring life back to my soul and delight into my heart is the one headed by Christ Himself, the son of David, described by Isaiah as the flower that would burgeon forth from the root of Jesse, David’s father.


    Note. Imagery. 1. Peter was for a time an adopted son of God through Jesus Christ; but his sin has made him an orphan by cutting him off from the supernatural grace which allowed him a share of divine life.
2. Just like a branch cut asunder from a plant (such as an olive tree) will need to be grafted back or onto another compatible plant, Peter has by his sin been cut asunder from Christ’s fellowship, comprising those who were His baptized disciples remaining in a state of grace.  
    Note (Scripture). The following excerpts from Scripture find echoes in this verse:
“And there shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse, and a flower shall rise up out of his root.” [Isaias xi. 1. Douay-Rheims];
   Christ’s own words in His discourse after the Last Supper:
“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abide in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine: you the branches: he that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing. If any one abide not in me, he shall be cast forth as a branch, and shall wither, and they shall gather him up, and cast him into the fire, and he burneth.” [John xv. 4-6]
    St Paul’s imagery of the Church as an olive tree, where some are as the natural branches and some are grafted thereon.:
“ . . . if the root be holy, so are the branches. And if some of the branches be broken, and thou, being a wild olive, art ingrafted in them, and art made partaker of the root, and of the fatness of the olive tree, Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. [19] Thou wilt say then: The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in. Well: because of unbelief they were broken off. But thou standest by faith: be not highminded, but fear. For if God hath not spared the natural branches, fear lest perhaps he also spare not thee. See then the goodness and the severity of God: towards them indeed that are fallen, the severity; but towards thee, the goodness of God, if thou abide in goodness, otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again. For if thou wert cut out of the wild olive tree, which is natural to thee; and, contrary to nature, were grafted into the good olive tree; how much more shall they that are the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?” [Romans xi. 16-24]
    697. comfort. Strengthening; encouragement, incitement; aid, succour, support, countenance. 1528   Bp. S. Gardiner in J. Strype Eccl. Memorials (1721) I. App. xxiv. 62   Upon comfurth of such words as his Ho. had spoken unto us.
    698. Orphan. Bereaved of parents; fatherless or motherless, or both. figurative. A person . . . deprived of protection, advantages, benefits, or happiness previously enjoyed. The poet has in mind the doctrine concerning spiritual adoption which enables baptized Christians in a state of grace to become adopted sons of God and to call God “Our Father.” See, for instance, St. Paul’s teachings as shown in the following:
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ . . .Who hath predestinated us unto the adoption of children through Jesus Christ unto himself: according to the purpose of his will: “[Ephesians i. 3 & 5]
“But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent his Son, made of a woman, made under the law: That he might redeem them who were under the law: that we might receive the adoption of sons.” [Gal. iv. 4-5]
“For whosoever are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For you have not received the spirit of bondage again in fear; but you have received the spirit of adoption of sons, whereby we cry: Abba (Father).” [Rom. viii.14-15]
    Christ used the word in His promise made to the disciples after the Last Supper:
“I will not leave you orphans, I will come to you.” [John xiv. 18]
    mishap. Bad luck; misfortune.
700. graffe. v. graff. To graft; to insert (a scion of one tree) into a different stock: 1564   A. Golding tr. Justinus Hist. Trogus Pompeius xliii. f. 163   They lerned to plant and graffe their olyues. 1572   L. Mascall Bk. Plant & Graffe Trees Exhort. sig. C.ij   Before ye do intend to plant or graffe, it shal be meete to haue good experience in thinges meete for thys Arte. figurative. 1549   Bk. Common Prayer (STC 16267) Celebr. Holye Communion f. lxxx   Graffe in our hartes the loue of thy name.
    701. joy.  transitive. To fill with joy; to gladden, delight. a1592   R. Greene Frier Bacon (1594) sig. F3v   It ioyes me that such men..Should lay their liking on this base estate.

+    +    +


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment