02 May 2018

From Angels to Saints: Es

St Peter


The Tears of St Peter

'At the going down of the sun, and in the morning', my gaze falls on my patron saint, Petrus. In fact, he keeps a special eye on three members of the family (without counting my paternal grandfather and my father's half-brother).


The painting hangs in my bedroom and is known as 'The Tears of Saint Peter'. It portrays Peter after the betrayal of the one he loved most, showing his regret and remorse. His tears have caused furrows in his cheeks.

Here is an excerpt from the Passion:

[33] And Peter answering said to him: Although all shall be scandalized min thee, I will never be scandalized. [34] Jesus said to him: Amen. I say to thee, that in this night, before the cock crow, thou wilt deny me thrice. [35] Peter saith to him: Yea, though I should die with thee, I will not deny thee. [Matthew 29]
Despite these proud words, Peter betrays Jesus three times. 

[74] Then he began to curse and to swear that he knew not the man. And immediately the cock crew. [75] And Peter remembered the word of Jesus which he had said: Before the cock crow, thou wilt deny me thrice. And going forth, he wept bitterly. [Matthew 29]

St Esther

The painting was given to me by Esther Clarke who was the housekeeper for the church of Corpus Christi in Maiden Lane, Covent Garden. It is inscribed and signed by her on the back. Esther had a kind, beautiful soul which is why her name will live on in the family. It's also why I have tentatively attached a little 'sancta' to her name. 'Esther' comes from a word meaning 'star' and she is a 'type' in the Old Testament who has her 'antitype' in Mary, the Mother of the Saviour, one of whose many titles is Stella Maris, 'Star of the Sea'.

The painting is the work of Domenikos Theotokopoulos ('El Greco') and dates from 1585. The original painting hangs in the El Greco Museum, Toledo.

No comments:

Post a Comment