02 May 2018

Mary Fotheringham's Prayer Book (1720): Pt II

Prière d'un âme embrasée d'amour & de zèle

Prayer of a soul on fire with love and zeal

Before the printed pages begin, there are several pages containing handwritten entries. The first such entry is in French and is entitled 'Prayer of a soul on fire with love and zeal'. The prayer is written in 120 lines over five pages. After an opening address to God, the prayer takes the form of a colloquy between the writer and Mary, 'the most beloved of mothers'.

The original French version is posted under the French tab. Out of over 540 words, there are four that I have had difficulty in reading clearly in French. If you are a native French speaker, your suggestions would be most gratefully received.

My translation of the prayer into English follows below.

O my God, through the superabundant love you have for us, take one of your arrows and dip it in the precious blood of your dear son, Jesus, and plunge it in our hearts, that we may become like a wounded deer, knowing no rest until falling with love into the arms of our beloved Saviour. O Mary! O Joseph!  All ye angels and saints of Heaven, join together to ask God to grant us this signal favour, the object of my most ardent desire.

O Mary, most beloved of mothers, I place my soul in thy hands to keep it safe. O my tender Mother, vouchsafe to grant unto me one spark of the burning love thou hast for God. Thou didst intercede with thy son on behalf of the bride and groom who had run out of wine at their wedding feast. Speak to thy son about us: 

'They do not have your love; help them to love you. I am the mother not only of the just but also of sinners, who languish in the terrible condition of sin. As soon as a sinner wants to amend his life and comes to me for help, I fly to his rescue. Aim to break the chains of sin and have recourse to me to obtain the necessary courage. You will not call upon me in vain. Your sins make you unworthy to be heard, but my merits intercede on your behalf to make you worthy.

'I am like a tender mother with two sons who are mortal enemies. One son seeks to take the life of the other but their mother seeks reconciliation between them. I am ever mindful that Jesus Christ is my son and that sinners too are my sons. I am always ready to receive those whose sins have made them enemies of God. I pay no attention to the number and gravity of the sins committed by the one having recourse to me; but rather what counts for me is the intention in his heart. If he truly wants to be healed, then I will certainly offer him a cure for his wounds. For I am truly a merciful mother.

'I tell my son: It's your mother who is pleading for this sinner; he is my son and I am his mother. He loves me and I love him. Grant him forgiveness and offer him the embrace of peace. Words cannot express the kindness, the mercy and the love I feel when I try to save those who call upon my aid. Come close to me with confidence. Hold fast to me and don't leave me until I have given you a blessing.'
 O Mary, I come to thee; thou lovest those who love thee. I love thee and I want to love thee always. O my sweet mother, increase still more the love I have for thee. I shall stay always united to thee and thou wilt have compassion upon me. Thou wilt pray for me and I shall be granted forgiveness for my detestable sins. Folded in thy arms, dwelling within thy heart, I shall die in the confidence of being granted salvation.

The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Little Office is in English. The 1720 translations of the five Office hymns may be of interest to students of Latin and for those familiar with more modern translations. The have been included in the Latin tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment