10 September 2021

Prayer to Jesus

[Continuing with excerpts from the 1701 prayer book]



Prayer to Jesus


Soul of Jesus, sanctify me,
Body of Jesus, save me,
Blood of Jesus, intoxicate me,[1]
Water from the side of Jesus, wash me.[2]
O good Jesus, hear me,
Hide me in your sacred wounds,
Do not allow me to be ever separated from you,
Defend me from my enemy.
Call me at the hour of my death
And command me to come to you,
So that I may praise you with your saints,
For ever and ever. Amen.




Compare with the following from PREPARATION A LA MORT – 1709:


Soul of Jesus, sanctify me,
Body of Jesus, save me,
Blood of Jesus, purify me,
Water from the side of Jesus, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me,
Wounds of Jesus, heal me,
Heart of Jesus, set me ablaze,
Nails of Jesus, pierce me,
Thorns of Jesus, crown me,
Cross of Jesus, consecrate me,
Goodness of Jesus, absolve me,
Grace of Jesus, fill me,
Spirit of Jesus, inspire me,
Sweetness of Jesus, console me,
Mercy of Jesus, save me,
Feet of Jesus, come to me,
Hands of Jesus, bless me,
O good Jesus, hear me,
Hide me in your wounds,
Do not separate yourself from me,
From the wicked spirit, defend me,
And lead me by your infinite mercy to eternal happiness, 
To praise you with your Saints, world without end. 
Amen. 


[1] Enivrer: In addition to inebriate, the LDDF offers a second meaning: 2. Remplir quelqu'un d'exaltation, d'une émotion vive. 2. To fill someone with exaltation, with a lively emotion. Synonymes : enflammer - entêter - enthousiasmer - étourdir - exciter - griser - soulever – transporter.   Larousse DDF
[2] The traditional version of the Anima Christi prayer at this point has Passio Christi, conforta me / Passion of christ strengthen me.


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.

No comments:

Post a Comment